In order to use iCloud, you need to have an Apple ID. An Apple ID is also required to buy media from iTunes and apps and games from the App Store. You'll also need an Apple ID if you plan on using services such as FaceTime or iMessage. In other words, to get the most out of your devices, you need an Apple ID! Luckily, if you don't already have one, Apple has made it easy to set up right from your iPhone or iPad!
How to create a new Apple ID on your iPhone or iPad
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on iCloud.
- Tap on Get a Free Apple ID.
- Enter your birthday and tap Next in the upper right hand corner.
- On the next screen you can choose whether you want to use your current email or set up a brand new iCloud email. That choice is yours. So choose and then tap Next again.
- If you chose to set up a new ID, choose what you'd like your new iCloud email to be on the next screen. Once you're done, tap Next.
- Tap Create on the next screen.
- If you choose to use an existing email, you'll be asked to check your email and tap on a link to confirm you own the email. Once you do, you can move on.
- For both methods, you'll be asked to choose a password. We recommend choosing a strong password that has small and capital letters along with numbers and symbols.
Congratulations! You now have a new iCloud account and Apple ID all set up and ready to go!